Welcome to Orthogonal Devices, home of the ER-101: Indexed Quad Sequencer.
February 7, 2014
| The ER-101 is now available in the UK from
January 28, 2014
The month of February will be dedicated to development and thus no new stock will be available until March.
December 22, 2013
Simple firmware tool for OS X: I am working on developing an OS X version of the full ER-101 Programmer which should be ready by March 2014. However, in the meantime I invite all my OS X users to check out a simple firmware command-line tool that I've prepared for you: firmware-tool-for-os-x. If you have any experience with the Terminal App in OS X then using this tool will be very easy.
December 19, 2013
ER-101 firmware v1.09 is released. Get the new programmer to update your ER-101. Here are the release notes:
ER-101 Manual updated:
- Feature Enhancement: Transferring pulses between adjacent steps. You can now adjust a
step boundary (thus keeping the pattern/track duration unchanged)
by just holding down the DURATION button and using the RIGHT knob
to steal pulses from or give pulses to the next step (LOOP points
are considered). While you are transferring pulses, the VOLTAGE
display will temporarily show explicitly how the duration of the
current and next step are changing. This method is especially useful for making rhythmic changes to your sequence without losing sync with other material.
- Feature Enhancement: Note repeat (also known as ratcheting) for each step. If you press the GATE button while the GATE parameter is focused then the continuous trigger (i.e. ratchet) mode is toggled for that current step (indicated by the 2 dots
lighting up in the GATE display). Ratcheting means that the gate
will repeatedly fire for the duration of the step. The value of
the GATE parameter still indicates the length of the gate signal. The step DURATION and GATE together determine how many times the gate output will trigger. For example, if the step DURATION is 16 and
the GATE is 4 pulses (on the display shown as '0.4.') then the gate will go high for 4 pulses, low for
4 pulses, high again for 4 pulses and then low again for 4 pulses.
- Feature Enhancement: In addition to the focus buttons, you can now use the LEFT knob to change the transform when setting a MATH operation.
- Bug fix: On some power supplies the ER-101 might leak a 366Hz tone on to the power rails. The reason was that the PWM frequency for the orange LEDs was mistakenly set to audio range (366Hz) and below the cutoff frequency of the ER-101's power filter. The fix was to set the PWM frequency to 200kHz, well above the cutoff frequency on the power filter for the ER-101.
- Bug fix: The ER-101 might freeze when you set LOOP points in a sequence with all steps having zero DURATION. This has been fixed now.
There is an updated manual that includes all v1.09 enhancements (Download
). Please check out the new Tips & Tricks
section newly included in this manual.
December 12, 2013
You can follow us on Twitter:
November 11, 2013
ER-101 firmware v1.08 is released. This release is just a bug fix for v1.07. Get the new programmer to update your ER-101.
November 1, 2013
The new MetalPhoto panels have arrived!
October 31, 2013
ER-101 firmware v1.07 is now available which introduces the following changes:
- Two new operations RANDOM and JITTER, so that you can randomize any parameter and any subset of your sequences.
- COMMIT and RESET button pushes can now be quantized to the end of the current track, pattern, or step.
- COPY arbitrary ranges of steps and patterns to the clipboard (before it was only single steps, single patterns and the entire track)
- New reference table: PENT (or pentatonic) which includes both major and minor pentatonic scales
- and other minor bug fixes and improvements
Just download the latest version of the ER-101 Programmer to update your sequencer. There is also an updated manual here.
October 15, 2013
- The ER-101 Programmer software is now officially released! Upgrade your firmware and backup your snapshots to easily hackable XML files.
- I am pleased to offer 3 panel options when you order your ER-101 (while supplies last).
October 7, 2013
The ER-101 Programmer is almost ready for release. This tool will allow you to upgrade the firmware of the ER-101 and transfer snapshots to and from the ER-101 in XML format. I expect the Windows version to be available for download (along with an updated firmware for the ER-101) by the end of this week.
September 19, 2013
I was never happy with the plastic knobs used in the first batch. After a long wait, the ER-101 now has its own custom-made anodized aluminum knobs!
September 15, 2013
The Book of Work
for the ER-101 firmware and expander is now available.
September 14, 2013
A rendition of Steve Reich's Piano Phase
(1967) using the ER-101 and a few other eurorack modules:
September 7, 2013
A draft version of the ER-101 User Manual is now available: Download View
September 3, 2013
A memorable moment for O|D, the first 3 units of the very first batch are ready to ship to their respective owners in Canada, Sweden and Wales: